Saturday, December 3, 2011

Our First Date

Keep in mind when you read this story that when  I met my now, fiance, we both had children from previous marriages.

I met my fiance at a social event and after a few more similar social events he asked me out on a "real" date.  Just the two of us.  He asked me if I'd like to go to dinner the following Saturday and of course I said yes.  He picked me up and off we go to a local restaurant.  Of course I'm real nervous, you know how that is, eating for the first time in front of a new date.  You're careful not to order corn on the cob or anything that may get stuck in your teeth because you are self conscience, etc.  After looking at the menu for a bit, the waitress came over and this is how the conversation went:

Waitress:  (to me) "What would you like to order?"
Me:  (I order....can't remember now what I ordered but that's not important)
Waitress:  (to him) "And for you sir?"
Him: "Nothing."
Me:  "Nothing?"
Him:  "I already ate."
Me:  "WHAT?"
Him:  "I had to cook for the kids, I was hungry, so I ate."

OMG.....I can't believe he just said that!   I didn't know what to say!  I just clammed up and sat there so annoyed and mostly embarassed because now I was about to eat a meal by myself with him just sitting there watching me!  I was horrified!

The story doesn't end here.  The waitress brings over MY meal that I ordered and now this is the second half of this unbelieveable first date:

Me:  (to waitress)  "Thank you."
Him: "Oh, that looks good."
Me:  (too stunned to say anything)
Him: (again) "Umm, that looks good, can I have a bite?"
Me:  (again, too stunned to say anything)
Him: he proceeds to take his fork (that was previously on the table before we sat) and started picking at my food!
Me:  (again, too stunned to say anything!)

We both continued to eat my meal and ended up talking the night away! And THAT was the beginning of a long relationship with my guy.  Anyone else would have taken the high road, but there was something in this man that was worth just one more date, just one more date.  Now I've spent a lifetime with this man and I enjoy looking back at these hysterical memories with no regrets.

2 comments:

  1. My first thought would have been ... CHEAP! As in, he is not ordering so that this first date won't cost him too much! Yes, I would have felt extremely awkward, too, being the only one eating. Maybe he sensed that and that is why he decided to dig in ... NOT !! LOL!

    ReplyDelete